Effective Date: March 31, 2020
- INFORMATION WE MAY OBTAIN
We may collect and process your “Personal Information”, which includes, without limitation, your name, email address, physical address, and phone number. It also includes other information that may be associated with your Personal Information, such as your internet connection, the physical equipment you use to access the Service, and usage details. If you create an account on the Websites, as set forth in greater detail below, you may be asked to input certain payment information, though we only have limited access to such information.
We may also collect information such as the Operating System (“OS”) running on your device, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address (which may be used to obtain your geolocation), access times, browser type, language, gender, date and time of creation of accounts, and the website you visited before or will visit after using our Service.
- CONTACT INFORMATION
To ask questions or provide comments about the Policy our privacy practices, or to exercise any rights identified in the Policy, please contact us at:
The Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
Attn: Chief Financial Officer
14646 N. Kierland Blvd., Suite 255
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Toll-Free Telephone Number: (866) 242-0240
- COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may request or obtain Personal Information from you to provide the Service to you. If you fill out the contact form or other portals on the Websites, you will be asked to provide us with certain Personal Information, including your name and email address. Please do not submit any confidential or proprietary information, medical or health information, or other sensitive information (including, without limitation, Social Security, driver’s license, or passport numbers), through these contact or subscription portals, or to us via email or otherwise.
We may collect Personal Information about you from various third parties, such as third parties whom we use to provide services to you. From time to time, we may use third-party information to supplement the Personal Information of yours which we possess.
We may also use automated data collection methods in connection with our Service, which are governed by Section 4 of this Policy.
We do not solicit or knowingly collect any Personal Information from persons under the age of eighteen (18). If we learn that we have obtained Personal Information from a person under the age of 18, we will delete that Personal Information.
- COOKIES AND OTHER AUTOMATED DATA COLLECTION
We use a number of automated data collection methods that help us to improve your experience with our Service, including, without limitation, helping us administer the Websites, analyze their usage, and improve the overall user experience. These methods of automatic collection may include:
- Cookies: Cookies are small pieces of data sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Your web browser may include a function that permits you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. If you do so, you may not be able to access all or parts of the Website.
- Flash Cookies: Certain features of the Websites may use local stored objects (or “Flash cookies”) to collect and store information. To learn how you can manage your Flash cookie settings, visit Adobe’s website.
- Web Beacons: Pages of the Websites, as well as our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics.
- Google Analytics: We may use Google Analytics cookies to collect aggregate information about how users visit the Websites. You can review Google Analytics’ data practices here, and many install a Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on here.
- Server Logs: We may track information about your visit to the Websites and store that information in web server logs.
- Social Media Widgets: We may use social media features, including without limitation, “Like” or “Share” buttons to aid social media sharing or interactive features. These features may collect your IP address, information about the webpage you are visiting or using, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Products. We do not control any of the content from the social media widgets and recommend that you review each social media company’s privacy policies prior to using any such widget.
- Retargeting: We may use certain technologies, such as cookies and web beacons to collect visitor data on the Websites and use that data to serve targeted display advertisements to you when you visit other websites. Our partners may also use technology to collect this data.
- DO NOT TRACK SIGNALS
“Do Not Track” is a preference you can set in certain web browsers to let websites you visit know that you do not want them tracking certain information about you. The Websites do not currently respond to Do Not Track settings. For further details regarding Do Not Track settings, visit donottrack.us.
- USE OR PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use the Personal Information that we collect for the following purposes:
- Presenting and providing content to you, and operating and improving the Service;
- Communicating with you concerning the Service, events, or offerings, and responding to your requests, questions, or comments;
- Providing the Service to you;
- Evaluating and assessing applicants for employment or potential business or marketing relationships with third parties, and evaluating and making modifications to the Service or other aspects of our business;
- Monitoring and analyzing usage, trends, and activities related to the Service;
- Transmitting notices, updates, technical information, and other messages;
- Allowing you to participate in interactive features of the Service;
- Carrying our obligations and enforcing rights arising from any contracts entered between you and us;
- Notifying you concerning changes in any Service, or of modifications to our policies, including the Policy; or
- For any other purpose that you request or with your consent.
- SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell, rent, transfer, disclose, or lease your Personal Information to others, with the following exceptions:
- If Personal Information is “anonymized”, meaning it cannot be used to identify you;
- To our subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, contractors, service providers, partners, and other third parties we use to support our business and the Service;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, consolidation, asset sale, dissolution, or other substantial corporate transaction or sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about users of our Service is among the assets transferred;
- To comply with any enforceable subpoena, government or regulatory request or demand, investigative demand, court order, law or legal process;
- To enforce or apply our legal rights, including for billing and collection purposes, and to defend against legal claims;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers, or others, including for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; or
- With your prior consent.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECTION
We maintain physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction. We regularly update and test our data security technology, restrict access to your Personal Information to our personnel with the need to access such Personal Information in the course and scope of their performance of duties for us. We also train our personnel concerning the privacy and security of your Personal Information.
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code section 1798.83 allows you to request information about our disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. You can make such requests of us using the contact information set forth in Section 2 of this Policy.
Within thirty (30) days after receiving an express written request, we will provide a list of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding year, along with the names and addresses of those third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve the right not to respond to requests submitted in ways other than those specified above.
If you are a resident of California and do not want us to disclose your Personal Information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, please notify us of such using the contact information provided above, and clearly state your request, name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. Upon receipt of your express written request, we will remove your name from lists we share with other companies as soon as reasonably practicable.
Additionally, if you are a California resident under the age of eighteen (18), and have registered to use the Service, California Business and Professions Code section 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted. You can do so by contacting us using the contact information set forth in Section 2 of this Policy. If you make such a request, please identify where the content or information is posted on the Service so that we can attempt to remove the post from public view or anonymize the content or information such that you cannot be identified. This removal process cannot ensure complete removal, for example, if content or information remains visible because a third party has copied the posting or reposted the content or information posted by the minor.
- EMAIL MARKETING
You have the right to opt out of receiving future marketing, promotional, or emails from us by following the instructions set forth in any such emails, including by clicking “Unsubscribe” buttons. Even if you opt out of such communications, we may nevertheless transmit non-promotional communications to you, such as communications concerning ongoing representations or business relationships. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe that the requested change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
- CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY ACT
This section of the Policy contains information concerning the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) for California residents and applies to all persons or consumers who reside in California. Any capitalized terms used in this section but not defined in the Policy have the same meaning as set forth in the CCPA.
Personal Information: For the purposes of this Section 11 only, “Personal Information” shall mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. “Personal Information” does not include publicly available information, aggregate or deidentified consumer information, or other information not within the scope of CCPA.
Collections and Disclosures: The specific types of Personal Information that we have collected are set forth in Sections 3 and 4 of this Policy. We have collected the following categories of Personal Information from consumers within the past twelve (12) months:
- Identifiers, including name, address, IP address, online identifier, and email address.
- Personal Information categories identified in California Civil Code section 1798.80(e), including name, address, telephone number, or limited payment information (as described in Section 3 of this Policy).
- Commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation data.
We do not sell and have not sold Personal Information about consumers in the prior twelve (12) months. We have disclosed the following information about consumers for business purposes in the prior twelve (12) months:
Our disclosure of Personal Information are set forth in Section 7 of this Policy. We have disclosed Personal Information to the following categories of third parties in the past twelve (12) months:
- Our affiliates
- Our joint marketing partners
- Our business partners
- Social media networks
- Third-party marketing partners
The CCPA gives California consumers and residents specific rights with respect to their Personal Information, including requests for us to provide you with certain information (“requests to know”) and to delete certain Personal Information (“requests to delete”). The following sections explain those rights, how you may exercise them, and how we will respond.
Right to Know about Personal Information Collected, Disclosed, or Sold: You have the right to request that we disclose to you certain kinds of information that we have collected about you during the twelve (12) months prior to your verifiable request. If we receive a verifiable request from you, we will provide you with:
- The categories and specific pieces of your Personal Information we have collected;
- The categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personal Information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we share Personal Information;
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you;
- The categories of Personal Information that we sold about you and the categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold, by category or categories of Personal Information for each category of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold; and
- The categories of Personal Information that we disclosed about you for a business purpose. We will also disclose to you whether we have or have not sold or disclosed your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose.
We do not sell your Personal Information to any third parties, though we may disclose your Personal Information to third parties for the reasons set forth in Section 7 of this Policy.
Right to Portability: If we deliver information to you, we may do so by mail or electronically. If provided electronically, the information will be in a portable and, if technically feasible, readily useable format that allows you to transmit this information to another entity without hindrance.
Right to Personal Information Deletion: You have the right to request that we, and any of our service providers, delete any Personal Information of yours which has been collected from you, upon the making of a verified request. However, we and our service providers may not be required to comply with a request for deletion if it is necessary for us or our service provider to:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between us;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise that consumer’s right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act set forth in Chapter 3.6 (commencing with Section 1546) of Title 12 of Part 2 of the Penal Code;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the business’ deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if you provide informed consent;
- To enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with a legal obligation; or
- Otherwise use your Personal Information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the Personal Information.
We may respond to a request to delete by permanently and completely erasing the Personal Information from our existing systems (except for archived or backup systems), deidentifying the Personal Information, or aggregating Personal Information. For Personal Information stored on an archived or backup system, we may delay compliance until the archived or backup system is restored to an active system or next accessed or used for a sale, disclosure, or commercial purpose.
Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you if you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA. This means that we will not:
- Deny you goods or services;
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including by using discounts or other benefits or by imposing penalties;
- Provide you with a different level of quality of goods or services; or
- Suggest that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may offer financial incentives, including payments to you as compensation, for our collection of Personal Information or deletion of Personal Information. We may also offer a different price, rate, level, or quality of goods or services to you if that price or difference is directly related to the value provided to us by your data. We will provide you with notification prior to offering you such financial incentives and your participation in such a financial incentive program will only occur with your prior consent.
How to Make a Request: If you would like to make a request to know or delete, please contact us using the contact information in Section 2 of this Policy. You may use an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf, but if you do so, we may require you to provide the authorized agent with written, signed permission to do so, verify your own identity directly with us, and confirm to us that you provided the authorized agent with permission to submit the request.
Timing and Manner of Responses: We will confirm our receipt of a verifiable request to know or delete within ten (10) business days after receiving a request. We will provide general information about how we will process the request and when you should expect a response, unless we are able to process the request fully within the 10-business day period. If you maintain an account with us, we will deliver a written response to the email associated with your account. If you do not maintain an account with us, we will provide a written response to you via email, or if you request, by mail.
If we receive a request but cannot verify the requestor’s identity, we will not disclose any Personal Information to the requesting party or delete any Personal Information. If we cannot verify a requestor’s identity, we may ask for more information about the requestor, and will only use such information to verify the requestor’s identity.
We will provide information for the twelve (12) months preceding any such request. We strive to respond to your verifiable requests within forty-five (45) days after we receive them. If we require additional time to respond to a verifiable request, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will not provide a consumer’s Social Security number, driver’s license number or other government-issued identification number, financial account number, any health insurance or medical identification number, an account password, or security questions and answers, or unique biometric data generated from measurements or technical analysis of human characteristics.
Material Changes: Changes to this Policy are governed by Section 13. If we seek to use your Personal Information for purposes that are materially different from those disclosed in this Policy, we will notify you and obtain your consent prior to such use.
- DATA RETENTION AND STORAGE
Your Personal Information is stored on our servers, and on the servers of the cloud-based database management services we engage, which are in the United States.
We retain your Personal Information for the duration of your business or other relationship with us, and for a period thereafter to allow you to continue to your business relationship with us in the future, to analyze the data for our own operations, and for historical and archiving purposes. You may delete your account with us at any time, though we may retain some Personal Information after such a deletion. Requests for deletion are governed by Section 11 of this Policy.
- CHANGES TO THE POLICY
We reserve the right to revise the Policy. The Effective Date of this Policy is set forth at the top of this webpage, and this Policy supersedes any and all prior versions. If we change the way we collect, use, or disclose your Personal Information, we will notify you prior to said change by email and/or by inserting a prominent notice on the Websites. Your continued use of the Service after a modification of this Policy constitutes your acceptance of those changes.